Hallucination 1 - Maryland has enjoyed a decade of unprecedented growth. Property values and income levels are skyrocketing. So I think we should be in fat city. But I must be as mad as a dingo dog because they tell me we have a $2 billion dollar "structural" deficit.
Hallucination 2 - The Maryland General Assembly has a regular gig. They meet at the same time every year. They hang out in Annapolis from January to April and do the people's business. They write laws, go to dinners, find facts and other very intense things. Annapolis has been this way since lobbyists wore expensive powdered wigs.
But I must be nuts because I heard that the governor called for a special session next week. He must be crazier than me if he thinks Barbara Frush and Jim Rosapepe will roll over any easier on Halloween than on Valentine's Day.
Hallucination 3 - This is my big kahuna bad trip. Please follow me closely, because this is the raving of a lunatic.
- Gambling is bad.
- It's said to be addictive and hard on the poor.
- But the state allows lotteries, keno, horse racing, and scratch offs because the state is addicted to money.
- Slots are just another type of gambling.
- But slots are banned in Maryland.
- The governor says the state is now poor so he's in favor of slots.
- The state is therefore poor and addicted to gambling.
- People are fighting like hell to stop slots because slots are gambling and must be banned.
- Nobody is fighting to get rid of the other forms of gambling.
- Except barge fulls of lobbyists are grabbing fistfulls of money to lobby both sides.
- Lobbyists are addicted to money.
- Therefore lobbyists must be the same as gambling.
- Maybe we should ban lobbyists?
Please help me.
Please take the Laurel Connections Poll on slots on the left side of this screen. I also encourage you to leave your questions, rants and raves in the comment section.