Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Chili Con Comfort

There is nothing in the world better than a cold beer and a bowl of warm chili con queso. This isn't plain old nachos. It's the ultimate comfort food. Thick, rich, and spicy. Tippy's Taco on Gorman Ave. has the best Chili con queso on earth.

I have obtained their secret recipe for you. I can't say how I got it ... but I will testify that it was without the use of any enhanced interrogation techniques.

Make a double batch, buy plenty of Rolling Rock 7 ounce beers. Invite some friends over and enjoy.

Tippy's Chili con Comfort

1 t salt
1 t ground cumin
1/2 t garlic powder
1 t red cayenne pepper
1/2 t black pepper
1 lb American cheese
2 T finely chopped onion
2-3 T strained canned tomatoes
3/4 C water1 can chopped green chiles

In a double boiler combine cheese, water, onion, chiles and tomatoes. Cook until cheese melts. Add 2 t of spice mixture at a time until you reach desired level. Cook until it gets to the correct dipping consistency.

2 comments:

Ken Skrivseth said...

For those who don't know, Tippy's is now called "Toucan Taco" - an interesting place to visit! Occasionally (only occasionally), I wish they used cilantro once in a while. But I guess that would spoil the ambience!
Ken Skrivseth

dbpardoe said...

GOD BLESS YOU for putting this recipe online!!!! I haven't had Tippy's queso in about 15 years, but it is the best queso I have ever had! I will be cooking up a batch tomorrow night! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Diane Pardoe
Burbank, California

There was an error in this gadget